Maureen A. Gorman earned her Juris Doctorate from Chicago Kent College of Law and her Bachelor of Arts degree from Dominican University where she graduated first in her class.
After law school she served in two judicial clerkships: first for the Honorable James B. Zagel, United States District Judge, Northern District of Illinois, and then for the Honorable John J. Stamos, former Illinois Supreme Court Justice.
Ms. Gorman has more than 20 years of complex litigation experience in which she has successfully defended government agencies and their employees in civil and constitutional rights cases. In addition, Ms. Gorman thrived in litigating numerous complex Section 1983 civil rights cases, sexual harassment, employment discrimination and class action security fraud cases.
Prior to joining the Law Offices of Jeffery M. Leving, Ms. Gorman served as Counsel for the Administrator of the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission. Her sophisticated legal talents and passion for protecting fathers and children is a great asset to the Law Offices of Jeffery M. Leving, Ltd.
- On behalf of a distraught father, Ms. Gorman worked closely with the U.S. Department of State and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in preventing her client’s wife, a Chinese citizen, from abducting their son to China. The wife was subsequently found to have brutally abused & beaten the child. Her client was awarded custody of his son, who is now safe, thanks to Ms. Gorman’s involvement.
- In a life or death case, Gorman prevailed in obtaining a highly unusual order of protection granting her client immediate possession of his step-daughter who was in critical need of life-saving heart surgery, which the child’s biological mother refused to authorize.
- In an agonizing case where young, innocent children were being brutally abused by the ex-wife’s live-in boyfriend, Gorman obtained an emergency Order of Protection mandating the children be immediately turned over to her client. Ms. Gorman’s diligence and urgency saved these children from further torment. According to court documents, less than two weeks after these children were removed from the home, the ex-wife’s live-in boyfriend sexually assaulted his own daughter in the very same home. Because of Gorman’s success in obtaining the Emergency Order of Protection two weeks earlier, our client’s children were safely with their father when this new tragedy occurred.
- Out of spite, the mother of her client’s child attempted to sabotage a trip with the child’s paternal grandmother. Despite the current Illinois law, which makes grandparent visitation extremely difficult to obtain, Gorman succeeded in convincing the judge to grant the grandmother permission to take her grandson out of the country for a two-week international trip. Thanks to Ms. Gorman’s expeditious actions and hard work, her client’s son and his grandmother had an unforgettable trip.
- Won 4 Illinois Department of Children & Family Services (DCFS) appeals in a row. In each case her client was falsely accused of abuse or neglect of their own kids. She was able to get the indicated findings of abuse or neglect reversed in each case and her clients were cleared of all the charges.